Saturday 14 January 2017



1 Corinthians 1:1-9

Salutation
1Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
2 To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord* and ours:
3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 
4 I give thanks to my* God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, 5for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind— 6just as the testimony of* Christ has been strengthened among you— 7so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. 8He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

In the first ten verses of the passage, the name of Jesus is mentioned ten times. This was going to be a difficult letter for Paul to write because the situation in Corinth was difficult and when dealing with problems like this, it is good to remember that we ought not to try to do this in our own strength, but always to look to Christ for our guidance and direction. Barclay writes: “... to this difficult situation he took Jesus Christ, and it was in the light of the Cross of Christ and the love of Christ that he sought to deal with it ...”
In this introduction Paul introduces his reader to two things: Firstly, it tells us something about the Church – it should be the church of God – and in this case not the church of Corinth! Whatever denomination we might come from and cherish being part of, we must always remember that we are all part of the same family of God. When we think of it in this way we are sure to discover all the things that unite us rather than those things that divide us.
Verses 4 ff refers to the experience of the Corinthians, of Jesus and His grace: they were enriched in all areas including speech and knowledge of every kind. This was my experience. As you recall when we were at school, I was but of minor intellect, but when I found faith, my mind was set free and I have had the privilege to study at two universities and completing three degrees. I know that many of my teachers would be astounded!

There is another dimension. No one can ever argue a person into Christianity; all we can say is “Try it and see!” When people do, they find that its claims are all true.

One of the most special parts of this experience is the receipt of gifts that we are given, wonderful gifts that are free and undeserved. I have already referred to my gift, that of learning and teaching, which is all of grace. All our special gifts are from God. This is in fact true of all people, but too many do not acknowledge this. The world would be such a different place if it were so. Barclay writes: “If we fully realised that, it would bring new atmosphere and character into life.”

Such skills as we possess are not our own achievement – they are all gifts from God and therefore are held in trust – they are not to be used as we want to use them, but as God wants to use them – not for our own personal profit or prestige – but for the glory of God and for the good of humanity. If only all realised this, would the world not be a far better place with less poverty and suffering and much more beauty and joy?

From verse 8 Paul brings things to a head as he speaks of the day of our Lord Jesus Christ – then ultimate end. In the Old Testament, the idea of the day of the Lord keeps recurring: it was the day when the Jews expected God to break into history and when the old world would be wiped out and the new world born. On this day all people would be judged. Now Paul translates this in a new way by referring to the day of our Lord Jesus Christ referring to the day when Jesus will return in all his power and glory – indeed a real day of judgement – but our judgement is not one of fear and punishment but forgiveness, acceptance and love. Barclay concludes:

“The person who is in Christ can meet even it unafraid because he will be clothed not in his own merits but in the merits of Christ so that none will be able to impeach him.”

This reminds me of that wonderful hymn And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Saviour’s blood (with echoes of the prophecy in Zachariah 3)

1.             And can it be that I should gain
                an interest in the Savior's blood!
                Died he for me? who caused his pain!
                For me? who him to death pursued?
                Amazing love! How can it be
                that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
                Amazing love! How can it be
                that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

2.             'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
                Who can explore his strange design?
                In vain the firstborn seraph tries
                to sound the depths of love divine.
                'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
                let angel minds inquire no more.
                'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
                let angel minds inquire no more.

3.             He left his Father's throne above
                (so free, so infinite his grace!),
                emptied himself of all but love,
                and bled for Adam's helpless race.
                'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
                for O my God, it found out me!
                'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
                for O my God, it found out me!

4.             Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
                fast bound in sin and nature's night;
                thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
                I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
                my chains fell off, my heart was free,
                I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
                My chains fell off, my heart was free,
                I rose, went forth, and followed thee.

5.             No condemnation now I dread;
                Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
                alive in him, my living Head,
                and clothed in righteousness divine,
                bold I approach th' eternal throne,
                and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
                Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
                and claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Blessings,

David


No comments:

Post a Comment