Tuesday 24 December 2013

A Christmas thought from Philip Yancey

Philip Yancey, an American writer uses the following illustration to explain what the ‘incarnation’ means and why it happened. He writes:

I learned about incarnation when I kept a salt-water aquarium. Management of a marine aquarium, I discovered, is no easy task. I had to run a portable chemical laboratory to monitor the nitrate levels and the ammonia content. I pumped vitamins and antibiotics and sulpha drugs and enough enzymes to make a rock grow. I filtered the water through glass fibres and charcoal, and exposed it to ultraviolet light. You would think, in view of all the energy expended on their behalf, that my fish would at least be grateful. Not so. Every time my shadow loomed above the tank they dove for cover into the nearest shell. They showed me one “emotion” only: fear. Although I opened the lid and dropped in food on a regular schedule, three times a day, they responded to each visit as a sure sign of my designs to torture them. I could not convince them of my true concern.

To my fish I was like God. I was too large for them, my actions too difficult to understand. My acts of mercy they saw as threatening; my attempts at looking after them even healing them, they viewed as dangerous. To change their perceptions, I began to see, would require a form of ‘incarnation’. In order to get through to them, I would have to become a fish and “speak” to them in a language they could understand.

A human being becoming a fish is nothing compared to God becoming a baby. And yet according to the Gospels that is what happened at Bethlehem. The God who created matter took shape within it, as … a playwright a character within his own play. God wrote a story, only using real characters, on the pages of real history. The Word became flesh.[1]



[1] Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew, pp 41-42.

No comments:

Post a Comment